Packed full of fibre, energy and other yummy ingredients to give you that little boost when you are down or tired...
The perfect go to snack for any time of day, whether it is a quick breakfast on the go, a mid workout boost or with a cup of coffee and a good book!
Healthy fats combined with oats and seeds should help to stabilise your blood sugar levels and in turn keep you happier! (Don’t quote me on that scientifically but I am sure there are studies out there backing it up)
This recipe is super easy and is highly adaptable to what you have in the cupboard. There are a few alternative suggestions if you do not have the exact ingredients below:
- You can substitute regular plain flour for Gluten Free plain flour or any flour of choice - the addition of flour gives it a slightly more gooey texture.
- Any nuts or seeds can be used in place of the sunflower and pumpkin - these are staple in my cupboard so I like to use them.
- Any chopped up dried fruit will work for this, raisins apricots, dates, cranberries...
- Coconut oil can be replaced with butter (or Vegan alternative).
- Peanut or Almond butter both work well in this recipe. I haven’t dried any others but they most probably would work just as well.
- Golden syrup or honey also work well in this recipe.
200g rolled oats
50g plain flour
4tbsp dessicated coconut
1tbsp sunflower seeds
1tbsp pumpkin seeds
100g dried fruit of choice (chopped)
1 small apple - grated
3tbsp coconut oil
2tbsp nut butter
4tbsp maple syrup
For the topping:
a few squares of dark chocolate - melted
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C/Gas mark 3
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
In a saucepan, add the coconut oil, grated apple, nut butter and maple syrup and stir until melted and mixed together.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until all combined.
Pour mixture into a lined 20cm spare baking tin.
Cook in the middle of the oven for 30mins, remove and cover with tinfoil before returning to the oven for a further 15-20mins.
Optional - melt some dark chocolate and drizzle over the top for added luxury!
Slice and Enjoy! (you should get about 12 pieces...)